Lt. Michael P. Murphy

On June 28, 2005, deep behind enemy lines in the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan, a four-man Navy SEAL team was conducting a reconnaissance mission at the unforgiving altitude of approximately 10,000 feet. The SEALs, LT Michael Murphy, Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Danny Dietz, Sonar Technician 2nd Class Matthew Axelson and Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Marcus Luttrell had the vital task of scouting Ahmad Shah – a terrorist in his mid-30s who grew up in the adjacent mountains just to the south.  

Under the assumed name Muhammad Ismail, Shah led a guerrilla group known to locals as the “Mountain Tigers” that had aligned with the Taliban and other militant groups close to the Pakistani border. The SEAL mission was compromised when the team was spotted by local nationals, who presumably reported its presence and location to the Taliban.    

A fierce firefight erupted between the four SEALs and a much larger enemy force of 100+anti-coalition militia. The enemy had the SEALs outnumbered and also had terrain advantage. They launched a well-organized, three-sided attack on the SEALs. The firefight continued relentlessly as the overwhelming militia forced the team deeper into a ravine.    

Trying to reach safety, the four men, now each wounded, began bounding down the mountain’s steep sides, making leaps of 20 to 30 feet. Approximately 45 minutes into the fight, pinned down by overwhelming forces, Dietz, sought open air to place a distress call back to the base. But before he could, he was shot in the hand, the blast shattering his thumb.    

Despite the intensity of the firefight and suffering grave gunshot wounds himself, Murphy risked his own life to save the lives of his teammates. Murphy, intent on making contact with headquarters, realized it was impossible in the extreme terrain where they were fighting, unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his own life moved into the open, where he gained a better position to transmit a call to get help for his men.    

Moving away from the protective mountain rocks and knowingly exposed himself to increased enemy gunfire. This deliberate and heroic act deprived him of cover and made him a target for the enemy. While continuing to be fired upon, Murphy made contact with the SOF Quick Reaction Force at Bagram Air Base and requested assistance. He calmly provided his unit’s location and the size of the enemy force while requesting immediate support for his team.

At one point he was shot in the back causing him to drop the transmitter. Murphy picked it back up, completed the call and continued firing at the enemy who was closing in. Severely wounded, LT Murphy returned to his cover position with his men and continued the battle.    

An MH-47 Chinook helicopter, with eight additional SEALs and eight Army Night Stalkers aboard, was sent as part of an extraction mission to pull out the four SEALs. The MH-47 was escorted by heavily-armored Army attack helicopters. Entering a hot combat zone, attack helicopters are used initially to neutralize the enemy and make it safer for the lightly-armored, personnel-transport helicopter to insert. The heavy weight of the attack helicopters slowed the formation’s advance prompting the MH-47 to outrun their armored escort. They knew the tremendous risk going into an active enemy area in daylight, without their attack support, and without the cover of night. Risk would, of course, be minimized if they put the helicopter down in a safe zone. But knowing that their warrior brothers were shot, surrounded and severely wounded, the rescue team opted to directly enter the oncoming battle in hopes of landing on brutally hazardous terrain.    

As the Chinook raced to the battle, a rocket-propelled grenade struck the helicopter, killing all 16 men aboard. On the ground and nearly out of ammunition, the four SEALs, Murphy, Luttrell, Dietz and Axelson, continued the fight. By the end of the two-hour gunfight that careened through the hills and over cliffs, Murphy, Axelson and Dietz had been killed. An estimated 35 Taliban were also dead.    

The fourth SEAL, Luttrell, managed to escape and slowly crawl away down the side of a cliff. Traveling seven miles on foot he evaded the enemy. U.S. forces rescued him on July 2.    

By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit and inspirational devotion to his men in the face of certain death, LT Murphy was able to relay the position of his unit, an act that ultimately led to the rescue of Luttrell and the recovery of the remains of the three who were killed in the battle.

  1. nouner50 reblogged this from americas-liberty
  2. xxhighcommandxx reblogged this from americas-liberty
  3. vanillalatteeee reblogged this from americas-liberty
  4. crimsonbludger reblogged this from midnight-posts
  5. midnight-posts reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  6. joeyskywalker24 reblogged this from americas-liberty
  7. ferrairncksmdjs reblogged this from americas-liberty
  8. ferreyranderson reblogged this from schaloopadoopamber
  9. schaloopadoopamber reblogged this from imnotmatureenoughforthis
  10. imnotmatureenoughforthis reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  11. peacefrog22 reblogged this from lwrcifrog
  12. wadeachnegg reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  13. ssgawesome reblogged this from dragonsbarbelle
  14. fear-the-dark-knight reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  15. jsgbuckton reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  16. hellontheheart143 reblogged this from dragonsbarbelle
  17. nmdvaf reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  18. get-going-and-get-fit reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  19. dragonsbarbelle reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  20. kasino4 reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  21. dande-snapcracklepop reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  22. benh96 reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
  23. bradymayers reblogged this from stayhungry-getbig
Short URL for this post: